Location of Gangneung
Gangneung is located in the center of East-taebaeksan Mountain, the center of the Korean Peninsula.
It borders Donghae to the east, Nae-myeon in Hongcheon-gun and Jinbu-myeon and Daegwallyeong-myeon in Pyeongchang-gun to the west, the whole area of Donghae, Imgae-myeon and Buk-myeon in Jeongseon-gun to the south, and Hyeonbuk-myeon and Hyeonnam-myeon in Yangyang-gun to the north. It is bordered by 5 cities and counties in Gangwon-do.
The 64.5km coastline facing the East Sea accounts for 20.2% of the 318km coastline in Gangwon. It borders Taebaeksan Mountain, which is 1000m high including Odaesan Mountain, Daegwallyeong, and Seokbyeongsan to the west, and three mountains to the west, and Namdaecheon Stream flows in the center.
Not only does it has both coastal and mountainous areas, but it is also full of excellent historical and cultural and tourism resources. It is a city of beauty and tradition with outstanding history, culture, education and eco-friendliness.
|Direction||Adjacent city||Longitude and
|East||Donghae City||Longitude 129 ̊ 04'||43.5km between East and West||73.72km
|West||Hongcheon-gun, Pyeongchang-gun||Longitude 128 ̊ 35'|
|South||Jeongseon-gun, Donghae City||north latitude 37 ̊ 27'||45.9km between North and South|
|North||Yangyang-gun||north latitude 37 ̊ 54'|
Distance between major cities
Area of Gangneung
- Since the integration of Gangneung-si and Myeongju-gun in 1955, the area of the city is 1,041km2,
which is 6.2% of Gangwon-do 16,875km2. The population density is 207 people per 1km2, which is 2.3 times larger than average density of Gangwon-do 91.4. Compared to other cities and guns in Gangwon-do, it is the fifth highest city following Sokcho-si 786.8, Donghae-si 528, Wonju-si 373.2, Chuncheon-si 245.8.
- Also, 80.6% of Gangneung-si is forest, 5.0% are dry field, 5.1% are rice paddy, which makes it hard for the city to develop with less area to use.
Geographical conditions and characteristics
- It is located to the east of Baekdudaegan Mountain Range, and the downtown area is formed into a hilly area, and the outer area is formed as a middle-mountainous area.
- Wide pine forests and sandy beaches are distributed along the gentle long coastline of 73.72km
- Central city of the Pan-East Sea in connection with Seorak, Uljin, Gyeongju, and Busan
- The center of culture and education in Yeongdong region as a Munhyang and Yehyang City, the birthplace of Saimdang and Yulgok, Heo Gyun and Heo Nanseolheon
- The pure water and clean beaches of the east coast are popular as a national resort management site.
- A central logistics hub in the Pan-East Sea area in the era of unification that connects the main artery of the country
- Host city for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Ice Sports